Thursday, August 13, 2009

Busy, busy, busy boys (and mommy!)

Big Bird's mailbox
Nick is in a Big Boy bed!!!

Owen likes goofy goggles too!


A happy moment in the sand



Looking over the edge of the ferry was fun.




Whoa--When did half of August fly by?? I cannot believe I have off next week and my REAL work aka school year begins again! Wow, time really is not slowing down for anything or anyone. Well, we have been one busy group. We started out summer with lazy days enjoying the best weather MD has ever seen--just riding bikes, playing any sports and swimming in our silly pool. Then we went on a mini vacation to the Philly area to see the fun guys at Sesame Place. It was really cool and really fun, but Owen was a bit overwhelmed. Nick had a great time on the rides and we all enjoyed the character lunch where we high fived and hugged our way through typical kid fare. Everyone was tired after pizza and beer at the hotel and most of the children went to sleep....except the Duda boys. My so-called "good sleepers" decided that jumping out of their pack n' plays and getting to the toilet was a much better lights out activity. Andy ended up falling asleep on the bed waiting for them to fall asleep! That should have enlightened us to how it would go in WI. After a looooong 15 hour overnighter to the midwest, we were all exhausted and took good naps. That night Owen showed off his pack n' play jumping skills by getting out over and over and over again. I felt like whats her name on Nanny 911. No eye contact, no words, just place child back in bed and close the door. Whatever. After 20 mins of that, Grama tried rocking and singing--and after 5 more put downs, he fell asleep. I thought we were over all of this--but as I tell my new mommy friends: "Each day is a new day." :P So when I heard his padded pj feet at 5 AM coming to wake me up I knew we were in trouble for the next 2 1/2 weeks!! The visit otherwise was very nice. I got to see lots of friends and my whole family (minus Aunt KAffrin) which was great. We had great weather and did fun things like go to Titans Stadium and play baseball, football and soccer. We said our goodbyes and hopped on the SS Badger to head to MI. Drove in to a cloudy, windy day but we had our hopes up for better weather. Both boys slept well the first night with Owen staying in till 630 AM (good start!) By the next day, nap time was a disaster again. He jumped out about 12 times, before I held him down to rub his back and sing--haven't done that since 6 mos, but we do desperate things in desperate times. He fell asleep and all was well. For bed I had to sit on the couch and sneak out after he was asleep. I was his prisoner and he knew it!!! UGH. Totally infuriating and frustrating, but all part of the fun of parenthood. I have been told many, many times what great times these are and how fortunate we are to be able to share them. Yeah, yeah, yeah--I was still getting pretty grumpy about it. Especially when you hear your son padding around a pitch black room at 2 AM saying "mommy? nigh nigh mommy?" and he does not go to sleep again till 4 AM. Maybe "grumpy" is too nice a term....Yeah, so now since he can get out--he does, at ANY time. Not good. And he is waking up for the day around 5 AM. Really not good. Then he is MISERABLE all day, since he is tired and off schedule. Great vacation. We almost went home one day as it is pouring outside and I just can't take another day with him clinging to me or saying "up me up me". I had no strength left in my arms and no patience left in my heart. We had to get out of there!!! The beloved Crib Tent came by Monday (WHY DID WE WAIT????!!!) and POOF he was back to normal. He had to go to sleep when put in bed since his favorite Olympic sport had been cancelled! He was still up early, but not quite as early and the weather got better too! That big guy in the sky has a funny way of doing things. Everyone was happier now and we finished off a great week at the Lake. Phew. Parenting is HARD WORK!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Yes, it IS hard work. Good catching up last week. I hope you can get things back to normal before you head back to work. XO, Sara